Key findings from The Lady Elizabeth School

So my visit to Laude The Lady Elizabeth School is coming to an end and I thought I´d summarize my key findings in this blog post (I'll publish more blog posts about the trip in a short while, but those will be in Swedish).

Key findings:

Focus on learning and getting better (Growth mindset):

This is seen everywhere. In the corridors, in the classrooms and in the way teachers talk to the pupils. Everyone uses the same "learning language". The teachers also seem to be keen to develop the school and get better.







Visible learning:

The learning goals are visible and the pupils are aware of what they're learning. In every class I visited I could see the WALT (We Are Learning To) for that particular lesson.


In the beginning of every new topic the pupils get to know what they're going to
learn during the following weeks. 

Rubrics that help pupils to know where they are now and how they could get better.

Challenging learning:

The pupils are familiar with having different kinds of struggle. The goal for everyone is to have a good struggle. If they have no struggle or bad struggle then something needs to be done.





Positive, joyful atmosphere:

Right from the beginning I felt that the school has a positive and open atmosphere. The children seem to be quite happy and cheerful, helping each other and co-operating. The teachers I saw having their lessons were really kind and supportive, which has a great impact on the pupil's learning and wellbeing.




Since I've only been here for two whole days I've obviously only seen a small part of the activities and learning going on. Some things I was wondering about are the following (which can be found in the Finnish curriculum):

- How do you work with critical thinking?
- How do you teach children to use and develop their creativity?
- How do the children learn to use laptops and tablets in the same, natural way as they're using pencils?
- How do you teach the children to search for information from different sources?


- - - -
To all the staff at LES: Thank you so much for hosting me and showing me around! I've learnt a lot and had some great ideas from you that I'll definitely try out.





Kommentarer

Populära inlägg